Purpose of Apprehended Violence Orders & False AVOs
Apprehended Violence Orders are supposed to be there to protect people against aggressive, abusive and dangerous people.
However, they are increasingly being misused by those who are trying to gain an advantage for themselves or to hurt others for vengeful and vexatious reasons.
Our firm has represented clients in countless cases brought by:
- vengeful former partners,
- aggrieved tenants or landlords,
- people trying to gain an advantage in family law or civil proceedings,
- people trying to gain or keep visas,
- people trying to get Centrelink benefits, and
- many other improper reasons.
If this is happening in your case, it is especially important for your lawyer to obtain any relevant material at an early stage and work hard to bring out the truth.
Relevant materials can include:
- evidence of spiteful telephone messages or emails,
- evidence of any history of hurtful conduct by the other person,
- any documents such as witness statements, legal documents or applications for visas or benefits.
Thorough preparation can make all the difference to your AVO case, including the possibility of:
- achieving cost orders against the other side, or
- having them criminally prosecuted for a false complaint.
If you would like a free first conference to discuss your AVO case, call us 24 / 7 on (02) 9261 8881.